Proposed Amendments to the Association’s Constitution and By-Laws:
Deletions represented by “strikeouts” (line through), Additions represented by underlined italics
Article VII: Membership
Section 1. Classification, Qualifications and Privileges.
- (d) Student and Post-graduate Members. Persons who are of good repute and maintain membership in the American Optometric Association either through the American Optometric Student Association or as a Post-Graduate Member of the American Optometric Association. Student and postgraduate members shall enjoy all privileges of the Association, shall have the privileges of the floor at annual or special meetings of the Association but shall not have the right to vote, hold office, serve on the Board of Trustees or on any committee of this Association.
- (i) Student Members shall be persons who are of good repute and who are currently enrolled in an accredited school or college of Optometry and are actively pursuing the prescribed course of study leading to a Doctorate in Optometry and whose dues and special assessments are timely received by this Association.
- (ii) Post-Graduate Members shall be persons who are of good repute, whom have earned a Doctorate in Optometry, and are a licensed optometrists engaged full-time as a resident or a fellow in a residency or fellowship program approved by the Accreditation Council on Optometric Education or by a school or college of optometry which is accredited by the Accreditation Council on Optometric Education.
Section 2. Application for Membership.
- (e) Applications for student and for post-graduate membership in this Association must be made on the appropriate form and in complete conformity with all of the provisions of the Constitution and By-Laws of this Association. All applications must be accompanied with payment of first years dues as a student or post-graduate member. Upon receipt of the completed application, the Executive Director shall be authorized to approve and accept the application on behalf of this Association. Applications for post-graduate membership shall include the signature of the applicant's designated school, residency, faculty or State Board official. Consideration by the Associations' Board of Trustees shall be required for any application for post-graduate membership which indicates the applicant reported guilt, sanction or discipline by any Board of Optometry in any State or Territory of the United States of America.
Article VIII: Fees, Dues, and Expenses
Section 1. Dues.
- (f) Student and Post-graduate Members. Student and Post-graduate Members shall pay dues of $5.00 annually, and shall pay not remit dues to the Virginia Optometric Association. However, one shall be responsible for the prescribed dues, if applicable, for student or post-graduate membership in the American Optometric Association through an affiliated association of the American Optometric Association.